Saturday 31 October 2015

John Fashanu reveals how he paid his late brother £75k to stop him from coming out as gay



Ex-England footballer, John Fashanu has revealed the extents he went to prevent his elder brother, Justin Fashanu from coming out as gay. He said he paid him £75K to keep quiet about it.

The former Wimbledon striker made the shock admission a week after it emerged two top footballers – including an England star – plan to come out. In his first in-depth interview about brother Justin since his tragic suicide in 1998, he said: 
“I begged him, I threatened him, I did everything I could possibly do to try and stop him coming out. I gave him the money because I didn’t want the embarrassment for me or my family. Had he come out now, it would be a different ball game. There wouldn’t be an issue, but there was then. Things are different now. Now he’d be hailed a hero.”

No comments:

Post a Comment