Monday 4 May 2015

Man narrates how police allegedly demanded a N10k bribe from him or be framed for armed robery


A motorist, Niya Ezra, pictured above, has narrated how a group of Policemen attached to the Ondo state Police command allegedly extorted N10,000 from him or be framed for armed robbery while he was traveling to Akungba in Ondo state on April 25th. Two of the policemen were identified as Sergeant Idoko Edache and F. Temitope.

Speaking with Punch, Ezra, who is a staff of the Nigeria Institute of Medical Research said he met with a police patrol team along the road who stopped him and searched his car. The first police team he met asked him to go as nothing incriminating was found in his car. As he continued his journey, he said he met with another set of police officers. They stopped him and asked him to go back to the first patrol team for his vehicle to be properly checked.


"When I got there(the first check point), they told me to park near a bush and proceeded to search the car. I folded both the front and back seats of the vehicle for them. They discovered I did not have anything incriminating. They checked my vehicle particulars and the chassis number and confirmed they are correct.”
According to him, after the search, they became hostile, demanding a bribe of N10,000 or that he will be framed for armed robbery. He said seeing the seriousness in them, he had to part with the money. He however decided to record all of their conversations.
“They threatened to frame me up for robbery if I failed to cooperate. At a point, one of them said if they really wanted to deal with me for proving stubborn, they would radio their station that an armed robber had been arrested. I was shocked. I then pretended as if I wanted to urinate and went to a corner to switch on the recorder of my handset. I begged with N1,000; increased it to N3,000; and then N5,000; yet, they refused. They said they would not collect even N9,999”." Ezra said
In one of the recorded conversations, one of the policemen said in pidgin English
"Your money is N10,000 I don tell you (referring to Ezra). Even N9,999 is not acceptable. When we stopped you why you no stop? You don suffer us instead of you to pack jeje (gently). Where one army (soldier) dey, una go pack, come down inside motor, carry leg go meet am and put money for inside drum.".
Ezra said he paid the money to avoid being set up by the cops. He said he had confidence in the police until his experience on the fateful day and urged that the cops be disciplined for the act.
“They did not see me with anything incriminating. But I had to bribe them at that moment because I saw that they were very desperate. It means they have been doing it to innocent citizens. I want them to be brought to justice.”he said
Reacting to the incident, the Ondo state Police spokesperson, Ogodo said the police officers have been found guilty of the offence
"He (Edache) wanted to deny, but I told him he can’t. Everybody knows me. I don’t compromise on discipline. Presently, I have ordered that he and his team members be locked up. For further disciplinary action to be taken on them, it requires that the man comes forward to give evidence. I thank him for being able to identify two of the cops. Meanwhile, on behalf of the command, I want to appeal to the man not to use the few bad eggs to judge the entire police force. I assure him that justice will be done in this case."he said

No comments:

Post a Comment