Friday 21 February 2014

60-yr-old woman drives a taxi for survival in Nigeria

Unemployment: 60-yr-old woman drives a taxi in Nigerian city (PHOTOS)

A 60-year old woman, Madam Theresa Wunbalin, ventured into commercial taxi driving which is majorly and exclusively for men in religious conscious areas such as Ilorin the Kwara State capital.

Madam Theresa is a native of Mbano local government of Imo state but married to a native of Gumbi in Adamawa state and blessed with five children. Our correspondent gathered that since she started driving taxi within the Ilorin township, more attention had been drawn to her due to her excellent outstanding performances owing to the challenge she poses to her male counterparts.
Speaking with our correspondent, Madam Theresa popularly called “Mama Blessing” said she started the occupation five years ago due to her passion for driving people safely.
According to her, “Before I picked up taxi driving, I was into sales of Police kits such as shoes, caps, belts, uniform among others. I later established a fashion design shop where I sew exclusively men clothes such as; Agbada and suits.
“Because of my desire for “quick money” I dropped those jobs and approached a male automobile Engineer (mechanic) who threatened that I must spend six years to learn from him as against my plan of four years.”
“I therefore concluded to learn driving so that I can get daily money through commuter operation. In fact, my passion had always been to get myself involved in whatever good business men are doing. I love to challenge men and letting them know that there is dignity in labour.
“When I started, customers never believed a woman could take them on commercial trip safely. Some were so scared to the point of making attempt to come down from the vehicle.
“I therefore took interest in dressing like a man so that people won’t know the gender of the driver by using face-cap.”
“I have even started carrying charter to other states such as Niger, Abia, Kogi, Enugu, Osun among others to compliment my daily routine within the Ilorin metropolis.”
“I want to spend my own money although with the support of my husband. Also, the job has exposed me to the character of drivers. When I first started, men used to cheat me by driving rough but now, I have mastered that and we are all good at that.”
She further said: “If I’m ready to work, sometimes I make between N8,000 and N10,000 daily but if I am not in the mood to work, I usually make about N4,000 to N5,000. This has not in anyway affected my duties as a mother and housewife as I cook and take proper care of the family as well as regular attendance of church services.”
She however urged government to support her by identifying with her in order to serve as an encouragement for other women and younger generations on the need to be hardworking.CULLED

No comments:

Post a Comment