Thursday 19 December 2013

Cambridge graduate working gruelling shifts in a warehouse!!!!!!

Storing up experience: Ben pictured outside the Amazon fulfillment centre he works at
Storing up experience: Ben pictured outside the Amazon fulfillment centre he works at
With all the subtlety of an angry bear, the alarm on my phone  wrestles me from my brief, blissful slumber. Cold and tired, I peel myself from the sheets, feeling the stiffness in my legs and the dull ache in the soles of my feet as they reluctantly touch the floor.
Dead to the world, I push a toothbrush around my mouth, trying to avoid eye  contact with the zombie in the mirror.
I pull on the battered trainers, tracksuit bottoms and a T-shirt I'd dropped on the bedroom floor seconds before falling asleep last night, zip up my windproof jacket, clip my bike lights into place and set off on the hour-long ride to work. Meanwhile, the kitchen clock shows 5.30am.
Once at work, I punch a code into a drinks machine and watch it spit tea into a paper cup, while other exhausted ghosts limp into view and exchange supportive nods of acknowledgment.
I just have time to wolf down a breakfast cereal bar before my shift starts at 7am.  For the next 11-and-a-half-hours, I will be pushing a trolley around a giant warehouse in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire.
It's back-breaking work - I will probably walk a total of 20 miles today - just one ant among 1,500 others, scurrying around a vast complex of jaw-dropping logistical genius and breath-taking productivity.
I don't think I have ever felt so exhausted in my life.
I am working for Amazon at one of its eight UK fulfilment centres - the huge warehouses which store, process, package and deliver the online retailer's stock,  during the Christmas rush.
This is not what I thought I'd end up doing, the Christmas after graduating from Jesus College Cambridge with a 2:1 degree in music. I'd hoped to be an officer in the Royal Navy by now - or earning good money as a jobbing musican, while the application process limped along. But work was  irregular and sometimes badly paid. I tried, and failed, to find other employment and reluctantly had to sign on the dole - something I prayed I'd never have to do.

SOURCE-DAILYMAIL

No comments:

Post a Comment